Sunday, August 28, 2011

A Year of Me

Okay, so, I guess it is going to be much, much more time between posts than I planned! Hopefully I can change that!

A few weeks ago I got home from vacation and braved the horrible task of stepping on the scale. Many of you know that about a year ago I lost 40 pounds and was extremely fit compared to what I was when I started the task of eating right and losing weight. I went on a three month hiatus from my normal routine and when I finally got up the guts to stand on that scale, I had gained 15 pounds back! I was in shock and couldn't believe it! I was literally one pound away from a point I said I would NEVER hit again. NEVER! I had to do something, and quick!

I went and talked to my trainer after a huge freakout at home about what I had seen. He suggested that I make it a point to exercise regularly and to think about cutting refined sugars out of my diet completely and not to have any carbohydrates after 3:00 PM. He has been telling me this for about a year now and I was finally ready to listen. And listen I did! (And still am!)

He told me to start out with just three days and see how it went. I had my final bowl of ice cream on Sunday, August 14th and Monday, August 15 I began my "lifestyle change" thinking it was going to be torture. Three days, I could do it, right? I went to the grocery store and loaded up on fruit, veggies, tofu and peanut butter. Lots and lots of peanut butter.

Monday was horrible. I have to admit. I was going crazy. I had no idea what to eat or what to do with myself. I thought I had planned well, but I hadn't. I ate probably around 350 calories by 4:00 that day. Not nearly enough to sustain me for any true length of time. By the time evening hit I was about to eat everything in sight and tear apart anyone who tried to cross me. Frustrated can't even come close to explaining how I felt. I had to go to my boot camp that night and work out, but I knew that I didn't have enough calories in me to be truly effective. I knew that I could drive by the Target nearest work on the way to the gym, so I stopped in to grab a snack.

What kind of TORTUROUS, EVIL, SICK person puts the nuts at the end of the CANDY aisle? I had to walk past the entire aisle of candy, past all the chocolate covered caramel and peanut M&M's to reach the almonds. It is one thing to walk to the almonds when you can have candy, but when I knew I couldn't it was horrid! I found some delicious Planter's almonds roasted in sea salt and a diet coke, which I took out to my car and, being a good girl, measured out a serving. I was in heaven. Total bliss! Once finished I felt a lot better and knew I could face the rest of the day.

The next two days were a lot easier. I figured out what I could eat and made sure I focused on good, quality meals and snacks. After three days I ordered a cute necklace from Etsy.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/80231508/bud-branch-and-little-bird-lariat?ref=ss_listing

The worst was over. Now it was on to maintaining the "lifestyle change." (I make sure to say lifestyle change because it is not a diet. It is what I will be doing forever.) A week went by and I had lost 7 pounds. 7!! A pound a day. I was hooked. This was what I wanted.

I am now on day 14. 14 days without sugar and no carbs after 3:00 PM. I am in love with blueberries, apples with peanut butter and artichokes. Not together, of course. That would be a weird meal. Ha! I have no cravings for sugars and the only time I wanted a carb was Friday when a pizza sounded really good. I have a huge bag of Tootsie Rolls in my classroom and kids bring in cupcakes or cookies for birthdays all the time. I don't even bat an eye. My students are awesome. They know not to offer me any sugar and they also know that I will "auction" off any sweets given to me by pulling a stick and giving it to one of them.

This is the right thing. The right thing, and the right time. A year ago I would never have been able to give up my sweets. Never. Now... I have the right motivation. I will NEVER go back to the way I was. I won't have it. I just won't. This is a year of me and I am going to celebrate in that fact. My goal: A new wardrobe for Christmas.

Typical weekly workout schedule:

Monday: 4:30 AM workout with Shawna and 6:00PM bootcamp at the gym.
Tuesday: 4:30AM run/cardio with Shawna
Wednesday: 6:00PM Bootcamp at the gym.
Thursday: 4:30 AM  run/cardio with Shawna and 6:00PM bootcamp at the gym
Friday: 4:30 AM workout with Shawna
Saturday: 8:00 AM personal training private appointment at the gym.

If I make it to all of my workouts I am active for 8 hours a week plus whatever else I get to do during the week. Is it hard? Yes. Am I sore all the time? Of course! But is it worth every moment of the struggle? ABSOLUTELY!

I am a new woman. I have a positive outlook on life and I have more energy than I have had in a very long time. Someday soon I will allow myself a sweet treat once a week, but for now, none is good. This is a year of me, and I am loving it.

2 comments:

  1. Great job lady! You are an inspiration in your determination to make a lifestyle change. I say a little prayer each day to try to gain the motivation to make a forever lifestyle change. It hasn’t happen yet, but one step at a time, it will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! One step at a time is the way I have taken every major action in life. It is definitely not easy. I finally have the right motivation and it helps a lot. A year ago you couldn't have paid me enough to cut sugar out of my diet. Now, I am not even thinking twice about the decision. It just is what it is.

    ReplyDelete