The first thing I did when I got to my parents house in Oregon was raid their kitchen. Why, you ask? My mom had purchased a flat of Oregon strawberries. If you have ever bought strawberries at the store, you know that it is a 50/50 chance that they are going to taste any good. Most of the time the centers are pure white and sickeningly bland. Well... These particular strawberries that my mom had picked up were from a little farm a few miles away where I picked berries as a kid. I was ecstatic. Each berry is like a small ball of sugar that bursts in your mouth, flooding your senses with a more pure strawberry taste than you have ever had before. Especially if you had only eaten store-bought berries before. I sliced a handful up and placed them over some Nancy's low fat yogurt (another hometown treat) and dug in.
Now, doesn't that look delicious? The berries are red all the way through and just dripped juice and sugar. Nothing is better than this treat.
The next thing I did was take a picture of my parents back yard in its full glory. This is only a fraction of the beauty that surrounds their home, but this particular part holds a special place in my heart because I designed the rose garden and helped my parents build it. Bless them for putting up with my stubbornness when it came to the way it was laid out!
It is definitely a little slice of paradise! The roses were in full bloom and the hops were crawling over the archway and the boxwood is finally all connected and a lovely hedge. I spent quite a bit of time wandering among the flowers taking pictures. It is so peaceful out there. And green! A far cry from the brown where I am now!
My parents and I always like to go on adventures. This time we hit the river in my dad's raft and drifted the river where my dad taught me how to row. After a few panicky moments I did pretty well!
My amazing parents on the river! Dad was currently rowing.
A view of the river from behind the boat. So beautiful! Look at the gorgeous clear sky!
We had a blast! Some of us got a little wet (Dad more than anyone!) and the warm sun kept us drying off faster than I would have thought.
I then headed up to my old stomping grounds: Oregon State University! Go Beavs! Where I visited some favorite places and some of my favorite people.
This is the quad in front of the Student Union building. I had just stepped off the cafe's balcony and out into the square. How I miss the hubbub of this school!
Now this... This is a picture I sent to my hubby to make him jealous. I am getting ready to bite into the free slice of Cinnamon Chip bread from Great Harvest Bread Co. We used to get this as a special treat in college. Warm with a little butter makes this a sinful dessert. Or breakfast. Or whenever... Yum! Being without sugar for four weeks makes this look really really good right now!
When I got home, and before we went to Lake Tahoe, my parents and I went on an evening hike of some local falls. The first one was pretty stunning:
I was taken with the height and beauty!
The pathway leading to it was pretty lovely too!
The second falls were a complete coincidence. We were looking for another location, but happened upon a sign for this one and decided to give it a chance. Boy were we in luck!
It was like a scene from a movie where they find a waterfall with the blue pool at the bottom, perfect for a swim! Unfortunately, the water here was quite chilly, so no swimming was going to take place!
Dad admiring the falls. This gives you an idea of the sheer size. I couldn't even get the entire waterfall in the picture!
Mom taking pics!
My dad and I at the base.
Mom and I at the base.
Twilight lovers? Look familiar? It isn't the same one, but it made me think of Edward's meadow. SO pretty!
My parents helped me have the full experience of being home while I was there. We partook in many activities that reminded me of my childhood and brought comforts only home could offer. Even some of the chores I used to do as a kid, but with cooler toys that made it way easier to get the job done.
Homemade strawberry rhubarb jam at 10:30 at night! Yum!
Moving bark, but this time using the tractor and not a shovel and wheelbarrow. Man, I wish we had one of these when I was a kid!
Genesis Juice.... Life can't get any sweeter (or actually kinda mouth-puckering) than this! I remember when these came in glass bottles and had to be consumed within five days of arrival due to the fact that there are no preservatives in it whatsoever. Now they package them with airtight seals, so they last longer unless you open them. They are so incredibly yummy!
The night before we left for Tahoe my parents treated me to an amazing dinner at my favorite winery: King Estates in little ol' Lorane, Oregon. Technically it is in Eugene, but it is only about two or three miles outside Lorane's 'downtown' area. We sat on the patio with a gorgeous view and enjoyed a nice glass of wine and a succulent dinner. I felt pretty spoiled.
When we got to Tahoe (I have better pics that I will post another time, but for now the sweets will have to do!) my cousin who is a stellar camp cook, made a strawberry 'dump' cake. It sounds pretty weird, but oh boy was it amazing! All it was was strawberries, peaches, butter and white cake mix. He put it in the dutch oven and it turned out beautifully! (With all the sweets I ate on vacation, can you see why I am now cutting out sugar from my diet?)
When I got back to Oregon with Matt, we visited REI and I picked up a pair of Vibram Five Fingers. They are incredibly comfy, but I don't think they are going to be my running shoes any time soon. They gave me huge blisters! I do, however, love to wear them for everyday use. They are definitely like wearing a glove on your feet and I can't get enough of them! I wish they matched every outfit!
I have more pictures from my trip to Oregon with Matt that I will also post later, but they are currently still on my camera, waiting to be put on my computer. I am a little slow in that department!
When we left Oregon, we visited my aunt in San Francisco and took a day to wander the waterfront. I insisted on stopping by Ghirradelli Square and getting some ice cream. This sundae was so huge I couldn't even come close to finishing it, but boy was it delish!
I was in a sugar coma for a while!
The previous sundae, however, does not even come close to holding a candle to my true favorite ice cream. This ice cream is to DIE for. It is something that my family holds near and dear to our hearts and will travel out of our ways to make sure we get it! (If I were driving by this parlor, I would say 'to heck with my sugar free lifestyle! Give me some of this!') Hanford, CA's very own Superior Dairy. Heaven in a bowl... sugar coma bliss, chocolate chip divinity, death to any diet. It is so delicious the Matt and I have even made a point to pack some in dry ice and deliver it to my parents for Christmas and then this past trip take home six half-gallons in an ice chest to savor for months to come. (I am counting down the days until I can allow myself a little taste!) ONE scoop at this place is like a four or five scoop sundae at a normal ice cream parlor. It is colossal!
Yes, this is one scoop. One scoop with marshmallow cream. Nothing beats this delectable morsel of divine death by ice cream. If I could eat it every day with the promise I would never gain a pound... I would! If you are ever even close to the area (close being 100 miles) GO there! Seriously.
One of the big kickers for me this summer was the expected surprise I received in the mail a few days after we returned. I went from not being able to run down the block to running two half marathons in one year. Both marathons were Rock 'n' Roll marathons and they have this wonderful little thing called the "Heavy Medal Series" where if you run two or more marathons in one year they send you medals to commemorate each step. I ran both eh Phoenix 1/2 and the San Diego 1/2 and the medal pictured below graced my mailbox. I have it hung with pride on the wall in my room.
I am now looking forward to running the Las Vegas 1/2 marathon in December and will receive the "Triple Crown" medal. By December 2012, I hope to run my first FULL marathon. 26.2 miles! For now, however... I plan to stick to my 1/2's and just enjoy the ride.
The summer has ended and the school year has begun. We are now into week five and I am loving every minute. Next summer is going to be even better than this one. How? I am not sure since this past summer will be VERY hard to beat, but it will!


























Thanks for sharing the photos!! Yum, I want some of those strawberries! What a beautiful hiking spot too! Sounds like an amazing summer. :)
ReplyDelete