Reality slaps when the past comes for a visit.
This is what I saw:
216 lbs. At least.
When you are in the thick of it, you don't even realize what is going on. I was so unhealthy. Yes, I have a medical condition that helps me keep the weight on when I want to let it go, and I am working on reversing the condition through working out and eating right, but I can't deny that my eating habits and laziness at the time contributed to it. Running? I couldn't even run to the end of the block without feeling like I was going to die. I was bursting from the seams and in denial that I needed a larger pants size. Isn't that one of the stages of dealing with an issue? Denial?
Another dramatic view of the past:
2006 on a hike with friends
The shock when I saw these floored me.
Then I looked at pictures now. 45 pounds down from my largest recorded weight. Not only 45 pounds down, but also about 25% body fat is gone with it. Four pants sizes since the days of the pictures above. Four 1/2 marathons under my belt, and training for a full marathon under way.
After?
November, 2011, Las Vegas Rock 'N' Roll 1/2 Marathon
Personal best time: 2:46:34
Me on the far left, January 15th, P.F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona
Personal best time: 2:39:55
I was astounded. Sometimes you need to take a trip down memory lane to really tell where you have traveled. Hard work, healthy habits and strong support from those you love and trust get you a long way. I am forever grateful for everyone who has been so encouraging to me on my long journey. I am not done yet. I still have about 35-40 pounds to go, but I am proud of myself.
I am headed for Seattle on June 23 for the Seattle Rock 'N' Roll FULL marathon this year. For those who know me well, you know that this is a VERY significant date to me. This is my 30th birthday. On this day, plan to not only be at my goal weight and clothing size, I plan to complete my first ever full marathon. Crazy? Maybe. Exciting? Absolutely. A fitting celebration for ringing in the big Three-oh? ABSOLUTELY! I am going to dress up in a tutu, wear a funny tiara and strut my stuff up and down the insane hills of the Seattle marathon. I am eagerly anticipating it, looking forward to waving to my amazing friends and family who will be there to support me along the way, and coming home with the bling I will pick up at the end. I will go into my 30th year of life healthier, stronger and even better than I have ever been. It is a great feeling knowing that I will check into the next chapter of my life as who I truly want to be.
Is my running journey over after this? NO! Once I have met my Rock 'N' Roll goals, I am going to take on DISNEY! Tinkerbell Run, Disney World 1/2 (or full!), Disneyland 1/2, Princess Run and MORE! Bring it on. My running journey has just begun, but it is important to stop and celebrate the milestones as they come up.
Thank you to my husband, family and friends. I could not have made it to where I am without any of you. I love you.




Congratulations!! So proud of you and inspired to be the best I can be! Love you!
ReplyDeleteThat is so great! Way to go on all your success. The SAME thing happened to me last week. My husband had up pictures of me from a few years ago and I looked over and my jaw dropped. I've lost about the same amount you have and it's crazy seeing the difference. Like you said, you know your clothes are fitting different but when you see it everyday it's not such a stark difference as when you're looking at pictures. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks you guys! Debbie, the clothes are definitely the biggest difference!
ReplyDelete