Friday, February 3, 2012

Getting Back On The No-Sugar Wagon

Today's post is long, but I have a huge weight on me, telling me I need to share. Hopefully it speaks to you in the way it spoke to me! 

Now that the holidays are over, I need to refocus my life around what is truly important. I worked so hard, focused with all I had and lost thirty pounds and ran four 1/2 marathons in one year. Impressive? Sure, but I still have some major weaknesses when it comes to food. It will be haunting me forever. I love food. I desire it, I love to cook it, serve it, smell it, and EAT it! That will be with me forever, no matter what. Especially when it comes to sweet things. Sugar is my kryptonite. 

Between August and December I had lost 30 pounds. After a year or so of a plateau, this is just what I needed. I was on a roll! Then the holidays hit. I didn't pay too much attention to what I was eating. I still didn't go hog-wild, but I did introduce sugars back into my diet. That was my first mistake. When I was home I still ran because I needed to train for the P.F. Chang's 1/2 in Phoenix, but once that was over, my exercise all but stopped. Why? I got sick. I have had three sinus problems in three months. Two of them knocked me out for a couple of weeks! When this last one hit meds weren't even working! 

What's the point to that story? I have gained back five pounds! FIVE! That is 1/6 of my weight loss that came back! I never thought I would be as upset about five pounds as I was when I stepped back on that scale. Immediately I told myself I needed to go back off of sugar. So, Monday, I did. Was it so bad? Monday through Thursday were torture. Today, however, wasn't so bad! I just need to work on finding more creative recipes that don't have nearly as many carbs within them. (If anyone has any suggestions, let me know!) My trainer tried to give me ideas, but he was talking to the pickiest girl on earth. My diet needs to be 40% protein, 40% complex carbs and 20% healthy fats. The problem with protein is that I don't really like meat. Some chicken, turkey or beef is good, but I would rather not. I don't like eggs and I really won't eat anything processed, so sandwich meats and all of that are out. Frustration central. 

If any of you have been keeping up with what is "hot" on the internet lately, you have seen that there is a website called Pinterest. This has been my recent addiction and savior at the same time. Pinterest not only lets me look at and 'pin' recipes, it has also given me a ton of ideas for my picky self. If you have not seen it before, take a look: www.pinterest.com Make sure that you ask a friend to give you an invite if you are not already involved! You have to be invited to join. Another reason it has been a savior to me is that I can look at all the yummy, sugary foods and pin them to my boards and it seems to satiate my need for sugar. And all I feasted on them with was my eyes! Totally worth it. 

Now that I am working toward a full marathon, my diet changes, my exercise patterns are changing and all kids of things are going to be different in the future. Right now my trainer and I are working on gaining muscle. When I stood on the scale after four days of no sugar, I had gained a couple of pounds. My first thought was "WHAT!?" Then I remembered, I am doing muscle BUILDING activities, which will make me weigh MORE. Relief flooded through me. I have to gain muscle first in order to prepare for my run. Muscle building can often cause you to gain weight before you lose it. Something not understood by many. 

On a similar note to the last thought, something that had to be burned into my brain was the fact that skinny doesn't necessarily mean healthy. By building muscle, I was adding weight, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I would rather weigh 135 pounds and be completely fit and healthy than 125 pounds and unhealthy. I want to be toned, in great health and prepared for anything. If that means that I have to cut sugar, pump up my workout methods and stay focused on the goal... I will do it! I have never in my life been more focused on a goal. I have always been focused on goals, but this one goes above and beyond any that I have ever done before. It means amazing things in my life, and I am willing to make the sacrifices I have to in order to get there. So, no-sugar wagon, wait for me! 

3 comments:

  1. Keep goin' girl! You are an inspiration and a true light in this world! You will achieve your goals... you are amazing! Love you and miss you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are kicking butt!

    I'm just jumping onto the healthy bandwagon and it's been an interesting and eye-opening journey so far. Things I thought were healthy aren't and it's really made me more conscious of food I'm eating.

    I'm really sticking towards eating clean and not doing any processed stuff. I still eat some processed things but it's really, really minimal. I have found a lot of my recipes on the clean eating magazine website.

    Good luck with your training and I hope you find some recipes that you like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you my friend! Love and miss you too! I will see you soon!

    Jenny, thanks for the website idea. I will pop over and take a look! Eating clean and no processed foods is, fortunately what I am used to. it is the no sugar that throws me! I am reading nutritional info a lot more and it is definitely eye-opening. I have been working toward a whole foods diet and leaving out all the junk. It is harder than it sounds when it comes down to it! One of the best phone apps I have found is called "Fooducate" and was recommended to me by my trainer. It is a scanner for your food at the grocery store and it grades the food. I have learned that I won't put anything in my cart if it is less than a B grade. Talk about hard! Good luck to you, too, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete