Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Training Begins

Those that follow this blog know that I have decided to run the P.F. Chang's Seattle full marathon in June to celebrate my 30th birthday. Well... Training started this past Thursday!

It started out pretty simple. 3 miles at a moderate pace. I could do this! Due to an open house night at school I got home really late, so I headed to the gym and ran 3.2 miles on the treadmill. This is TORTURE for me. I hate treadmills! I feel like I am running nowhere, which, technically, is true. I hopped on and set the pace at my normal 5 mph and began. It felt too easy. I ramped it up to 6mph and felt great! I ran three miles at this pace and then decided I wanted to run across the "finish line" a bit faster, so I pushed it up to 7mph for the last 0.2 miles. What a great feeling! 31:50 was my time. I believe that is the fastest 5k I have ever run!

Friday was a 5 miler. After work I got together with my friend and we took off. It was much, much tougher than the treadmill. It was reality. Running outside is extremely different than running on the treadmill. Treadmills are smooth and consistent. Outside you have hills, uneven pavement, rock or dirt and you have the elements. The sun was brutal! AZ is a state where the sun does not go easy on you. My run took quite a bit longer than I was planning. About 1:10:00 or so. I was hoping for about one hour. You take what you can get, right? At least I ran the whole thing!

Today I went in for my 1-on-1 with my trainer and we sat down and planned out the rest of February and all of March. There will be Sundays where I will run 14 miles. Weeks where I will run over 30 miles! My longest week will be 38 miles! Am I intimidated? Yep! Absolutely! I am terrified. But, ultimately, I am excited.

If you want to follow my progress, take a look underneath the "about me" section to the right of this post and you will see a pretty nifty widget that tracks my miles and it says miles run in 2012, which I have run more than it says, but I am using it solely for my marathon training, so it will only have that recorded on it. Basically, it shows you how many miles I have run all together. Even if I don't post on here every day, I will be updating that widget on a daily basis when I run! So, if you are interested, stop by and take a look! The only days it most likely will stay stagnant are Tuesdays and Thursdays. If you are a member of dailymile.com, I am on there as well and if you 'friend' me you can see my runs as well.

Now it is all about nutrition! I need to make sure I am keeping away from sugars on all days except Saturdays and that my diet is 40% protein, 40% complex carbs, and 20% healthy fats. This is going to be hard! If you have any protein ideas that do not include pork or eggs, please let me know! I need some pretty amazing creative ideas in order for me to be interested. I even love tofu and soy, so those are great as well!

I will leave you with a yummy smoothie recipe:

2/3 C orange juice
1/2 to 1 C spinach
8 or 9 large strawberries
1/2 C blueberries
1/2 C grapes (I prefer red)
1/2 C mango
1/2 C peaches
1/4 C blackberries
1/2 C ice (water if your fruit is frozen)

Blend it all up in the blender and enjoy! You can't even taste the spinach. An alternative to spinach is kale. We have even used both and it still tastes yummy. You can add yogurt (greek is best and is delicious!) or protein powder (vanilla tastes yummiest) and/or banana. I can't stand bananas, so they generally don't enter the mix.

Well, wish me luck! I am going to rock my 30th birthday! Bring it on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment