The one thing I can not live without in my kitchen is what I call my "Kitchen Bible," or my hand-written cookbook. I took all of the recipes from my childhood and all of the recipes I have loved along the way and compiled them into one handy notebook. If I were to lose this notebook it would be the end of my kitchen world as I knew it. I have misplaced it in the past and was a frantic mess looking for it. Without it I feel like a chicken with its head cut off! I have a million cookbooks, but none of them can come even close to what my treasure holds within its pages.
 |
| One of my many recipes in my "Kitchen Bible" |
|
I have taken recipes off of the back of packages and have scribbled them down on scraps of paper to later tape into my notebook so that I can be sure to find them again in the future.
 |
| Sugar cookies on the left and corn chowder on the right. Mmmmm... |
|
|
I think that it is important to compile recipes that mean a lot to you or that you absolutely love because being able to recreate these things can start family traditions or create memories. I want to share these memories with my children so that they can share in them with me. Each recipe has a story behind it, whether it is an amazing chocolate chip cookie recipe from a friend (that contains pudding mix of all things!) or a secret family recipe or just a random cookbook recipe that you loved and can adapt to make it your own. I know I have a lot of love stored up in these pages and I can't wait to share them with my kiddos when they come along.
Do any of you have your own "Kitchen Bible"? If so, what kind of recipes do you put in it? If not, what do you use more for your recipes, cookbooks or the internet?
We have a shelf devoted to our favorite cookbooks in one of our kitchen cupboards, but many of my favorite recipes are in the stack of random scraps of paper shoved haphazardly next to the books. Some are on the backs of envelopes or scribbled down on scraps of notebook paper, and I love your idea of compiling them into a Kitchen Bible. :)
ReplyDeleteMy Kitchen Bible helps me keep my scraps of paper organized. Knowing me, if I didn't do this I would never find it again!
ReplyDelete