Saturday, March 26, 2011

Running

I ran 10.5 miles this morning and loved every minute of it. Our church has started a group for runners to meet occasionally on the weekends and run at our own pace and meet up at the end to hang out for a little while. I was nervous because the last time I ran anything over 6 miles was for the P.F. Chang's 1/2 marathon in Phoenix. At about mile 7 or 8 I became pretty badly dehydrated to the point that I stopped sweating at about mile 11 or 12. I had to walk quite a bit of the last 4 miles of the race. I was completely bummed out about it, but I knew I had to watch my body and actually listen to it so I didn't hurt myself any worse. But, as I rounded the final turn into the parking lot where the finish line was, I picked up my pace and ran across that finish line!
That experience was one of the most emotional moments of my life. When I saw my husband, I started to cry, when I received my completion medal, I cried again. When I walked out and saw my husband again, I cried once again. Here is my running story:

Two years ago I could barely run to the end of my block. I had always told myself that I would start running, but it lasted one day, or maybe two, and then peter out. My best friend wanted to start running again and my husband encouraged me and downloaded the best podcast to my iPod for me to follow. Here is the podcast if you are interested.   It is a nine week program that literally had me from the couch to running 30 minutes without stopping. I was completely blown away that I could run 30 minutes without stopping. I am not fast by any means, but I was able to do it!

I was going to try to train with two of my closest friends for the P. F. Chang's 1/2 in 2010, but in October of 2009 I ran a beautiful 6 mile trek with no pain and thought I was home free. The next morning I woke up and could barely walk. I had a hard time walking for an entire week and I took a two week break. When I tried to go back out there I ended up only being able to run 1/2 mile. I was devastated. Not only could I run only a tiny bit, my shin splints were raging. I broke down and it felt like a little bit of who I had grown to be was taken away from me.

I didn't give up! With encouragement from family and friends I worked little by little to bring myself back up to a 5k. I ran one in March of 2010 and felt great! In July I joined the gym and took on a personal trainer. (The best thing I have done in a while!) My trainer specializes in working with runners. He got me working hard! I dropped weight, gained muscle and was on my way to training for the P. F. Chang's 1/2 marathon in January of 2011. During one of my training runs I was running around my original training path at a nearby lake. I began to cry as I was circling that lake because I saw the benches that used to be my landmarks. I was excited when I could run from one bench to another, or all the way to the bench on the other side of the lake. Now I was able to run circles around both of the lakes and then a few miles more. It put into perspective how far I had really come.

As I said above, I completed the P.F. Chang's 1/2. Now my goal is to run a half marathon in under 2 hours and 45 minutes. My last one was completed in 3 hours 6 minutes. I can do it. I know I can. The most amazing thing


The one on the left is my first 5k. The one on the right is before the P.F. Chang's. The difference might not be as apparent here, but to me, it is HUGE. I feel better, I look better and I am just better all around. Running has changed my life. It has made me a better person and I find peace while I am pounding the pavement.

10.5 miles today and NO dehydration! It's a start toward a more successful 1/2 next time!

3 comments:

  1. You are a "before and after" inspiration to many Cory. I need you to be my trainer. With your positive attitude, sweet demeanor, and soft encouragements, I know I could be a runner too. Maybe not a 5K or a 10K but perhaps a Special K! ~Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kathie! You could totally do a 5 or a 10k! It just takes time and persistence!

    ReplyDelete